Bakeries, Products, Shopping, Travel

Gluten-Free Portland, Oregon: New Cascadia Traditional Bakery

19 Comments 01 July 2008

Want more? Sign up for updates... It's FREE!

Your Comments

19 Comments so far

1. 1

Justin G. says:

Salivating in NYC…

2. 2

Jenn says:

Soft pretzels and baguettes and totally gluten-free – wow! I think I’ll have my friend that lives in Portland ship a care package.

3. 3

Lauren says:

I love about 2 hours south of Portland, and every time I visit I make a stop at their kiosk! Their bread freezes very well, and now I have a stockpile in the freezer for whenever I get the bread urges. Best of all though are their parisian macarons, absolutely LOVELY!!!

4. 4

Letitia says:

I visited the bakery a couple of weeks ago after hearing about it. We live south of Portland and the trip is well worth it. My Granddaughter cannot tolerate gluten and she was so excited to be able to eat the baked goods she loves. She thanked me over and over again. What a treat for her to get not only great bread for sandwiches, but cookies, pastries, pretzels, etc. I bought a little of almost everything and froze it in small portions. What a treasure we have here in our own backyard!

5. 5

gaile says:

I live 5 hours north of Portland, but we’re moving there this summer. On every trip we make down there, I stock up on their breads. They have GF sourdough!! it makes amazing breakfast toast. The seed bread is to die for, those little pizzas are the perfect road food for the drive back home, and every one of their baked goods is spot on fantastic. I love these folks, and I’m glad to see them getting some recognition. their products aren’t just substitutes, they are the real thing and you can taste the love.

6. 6

Michelle says:

I live in Pendleton, 3 hours East. Found out from another blog about the bakery and on my next trip to Portland it was my first stop. Cinnamon rolls that taste like cinnamon rolls! Sourdough that tastes like sourdough! Ah, I could go on. It’s an amazing bakery and I’m so grateful they are in business. Salivating until Tuesday when I’ll be back in town!

7. 7

Kelly says:

Thank you for all of your testimonials! Please eat some more pretzels for me!!

8. 8

such gorgeous GF bread pics…

9. 9

Brooke Guthrie says:

I just came from the Kneading Conference in Skowhegan, MA. I was mistakeningly told that creating gluten free artisan bread (such as your gluten-free baguette above) was not possible only gluten free bread loafs were possible. Do you teach others how to make your gluten-free baguettes?
    Thanks,
    Brooke
    Citizen Earth
    GF/Earth Friendly (Teacher & Baker)

10. 10

Brooke Guthrie says:

Thanks,
    Brooke
    Citizen Earth
    GF/Earth Friendly (Teacher & Baker)

11. 11

Robin Carle says:

Hello,
    I just found out about your bakery. I have celiac disease and I’m having a birthday! I’d like to order a cake for approx. 6 people. Is this a round or flat 1/2 sheetcakeand what is the cost, please? I would want to pick up on Sat Sept. 6 for a next day birthday. When do you suggest I order?
    I’m also planning to visit!
    Thanks
    Robin

12. 12

Dana says:

Wow! Where have you been all my life?! …I just recently started a blog with the goal of collecting as much gluten-free info in one spot to help other people. You guys will be my next featured story! Thank you for baking gluten-free, all of us anti-glutenites thank you!
    :) Dana

13. 13

Callista says:

I live in Portland, and I LOVE New Cascadia Traditional. They are at the Farmer’s Market outside my front door every Saturday, so I always eat GF pastries for breakfast on the weekends. It doesn’t get much better than that.

However, I wanted to ask if you have heard of Babycakes on Broome Street (one block south of Delancey)? My brother lives in Brooklyn, so every time I visit I make a stop at Babycakes. To attest to it’s wonderfulness, it was Zagat rated this year, and has been written about in numerous national (and local) publications. It’s not only Celiacs who are taking notice. I HIGHLY recommend it.

14. 14

Angela says:

I went to this bakery last week. It was amazing.

I’m going back for more tomorrow. :-)

15. 15

New Cascadia is soo great! I’m really sad they moved though… they used to be on the same block as my apartment, so I stopped by all the time, but now they’ve moved, and I’m a bit too lazy to go across the river and find them…
    The only thing I did not like about their bakery stand was that they stored their poppyseed covered bread in the same containers as the non-poppyseed covered bread. Since I am very allergic to poppyseed, this prevented me from trying the majority of the bread there… my first eating a baguette from new cascadia, I made the mistake of not checking for poppyseed in my eagerness to try the gluten-free egg-free bread and ended up breaking out in rashes on my arms.
    I am just hoping that their new bakery is larger, and therefore has a different storage system. maybe I’ll try and get some fresh bread in the future :)

16. 16

Judi says:

Their new location at 1700 SE 6th Ave is very inviting and a nice place to hang out and enjoy their great cupcakes and other items. Yum!

17. 17

Dom says:

D- for being jerks.

The customer service is terrible.
    The store front is dirty.

They used to have “normal” breads when at their location on 23rd. But they don’t make french bread, baguettes, or white breads any more. Everything had seeds in it, or on it. Which is fine, if that’s what you want. But the selection was underwhelming: four types of bread to choose from.

More importantly, the staff were jerks. Un-helpful, unwilling to check in the back for more product, and unwilling to answer questions about the breads (like, what is the taste like, what is the constancy, et).

Totally not worth the trip across town into the warehouse district to get a $6 loaf of bread.

I’m sticking to making the Bob’s Redmill Breads.

18. 18

Lilia says:

I stopped by this bakery yesterday with my family. The pastries, muffins, and cupcakes are so good I almost cried! After two years of being gluten-free I have hope for eating baked goods that taste normal. My brother and dad both scarfed down their desserts and reluctantly admitted that yes, they were enjoying gluten-free treats. I’m excited to see what New Cascadia has to offer in the future! Stop by and try a muffin…you’ll be hooked!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. tribe.net: celiacchicks.typepad.com - July 4, 2008

hoppin a plane to portland

After seeing the baked goods at this new gluten-free bakery in portland (OMFG…

Share your view